Dental Assistant I
Company: La Clinica de la Raza
Posted on: June 7, 2021
Dental Assistants: Building Healthier Communities
Who we are: La Clnica de La Raza is a community-based health
center committed to providing culturally appropriate, high-quality,
and accessible health care to the diverse communities of the San
Francisco Bay Area. We have spent over 40 years advocating for and
creating a health home for the many that have been denied access to
care. As health care activists, we are dedicated to making sure
individuals who do not have health coverage get the same level of
quality healthcare as those who have it. From our genesis as a
community health center in 1971, we understood that we cannot heal
our communities without also addressing the economic and social
factors that affect health. Many times, this requires that we go
outside and provide services in other settings to build the bridge
that links individuals to our health center for preventive and
primary care. Over 90,000 individuals come to La Clnica because it
is a welcoming place that addresses the whole person, coordinating
and connecting them to a broad network of services to improve and
maintain their health and well-being. While we are still known for
our activism and spirit of social justice, we are also proud to
have grown into a sophisticated provider of primary health care
services with 35 sites across Alameda, Contra Costa and Solano
Be part of an excellent care team: We are looking for Dental
Assistants who want to serve as a valuable member of our care team
by work alongside dentists in fourhanded dentistry. In our dental
practice, you will be relied on for your superb technical skills to
improve the quality and efficiency of our clinic while at the same
time providing a human touch to the overall patient experience.
Many people excel at one of these areas, but it takes someone with
a special combination of skills and character to do both. To be
successful, you need to enjoy interacting with all kinds of
different people, to feel energized by a fast paced clinic
environment, and remain cool under pressure even when serving a
person who is upset, disrespectful or impatient. You should have a
successful history of being responsible, reliable and capable of
solving problems while being friendly and helpful in looking for
ways to support other care team members.
Major Areas of Responsibility include but are not limited
- Manage patient flow to maximize patient access and service by
ensuring dental exam rooms are adequately stocked and are ready for
- Prepare patients for dental examination by taking and recording
vital signs and medical/dental histories.
- Help patients feel comfortable before, during and after dental
- Effectively communicate request from patients to dentist or
dental care team members.
- Assist the dentist during a variety of treatment procedures
such as taking dental x-rays.
- Clean, sterilize, and maintain an adequate supply of
functioning instruments and equipment.
- Prepare instruments, materials and medication for use in dental
- Instruct patients in oral hygiene and plaque control
- Provide patients with instructions for oral care following
surgery or other dental treatment procedures.
- Provide prescription information to pharmacies, as directed by
- Record treatment information in patient records using
Electronic Dental Records system.
Commitment to Quality
- Demonstrate a commitment to excellent patient experience and
quality outcomes in equal measure.
- Communicate and work effectively with providers and other
members of the dental care team to best serve patients. Contribute
to a welcoming clinical space and healthy work environment through
proactive relationship building, direct communication and sound
- Engaged participation in huddles, staff meetings, team building
activities and assigned development opportunities. Continue your
professional development through participation in educational
- Adherence to La Clnica all ethical and professional standards,
including La Clnica's policies and procedures.
General Office Duties
- Perform general office duties, such as scheduling appointments
for patients, answering telephones, recording medical updates from
the provider, or completing insurance forms.
- Register patients, collect and post payments, prepare treatment
estimates for review with patient, run, balance and close end of
- Assist patients with insurance forms.
- Greet and log in patients arriving at office or clinic in the
appropriate electronic system.
- Inventory stock, order, and verify receipt of dental, lab, or
office supplies or equipment.
- Keep equipment operating by following operating instructions;
troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing
preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Basic dental assisting practices, terminology, and equipment
- Dental office procedures including but not limited to
scheduling, registration, treatment estimates and payment
- Working with modern computer applications and electronic health
- Techniques for cleaning and sterilization of dental equipment,
exam rooms and patient treatment areas.
- Physical: ability to work in fourhanded dentistry and other job
functions that involve continues movement.
- Communication: Bilingual proficiency. Use of clear and
effective written and verbal communications skills using the
English language with correct spelling and grammar. Able to follow
- Interpersonal Skills: Able to work professionally and
collaboratively a team member to support the quality/efficiency
standards established for the clinic; able to work and communicate
with people from various ethnic, socio-economic, educational and
life experience. Flexibility in accepting change gracefully.
- Administrative Skills: Ability to perform clerical duties in a
methodical, independent and thorough manner with speed and accuracy
with minimal supervision. work independently; exercise good
judgment; make accurate mathematical computations;
- Availability: Able to participate with other staff in Saturday
and evening rotation.
Specialized Additional Duties
A dental assistant is expected to perform the following duties
under the general supervision of a supervising licensed
- Extra-oral duties or procedures specified by the supervising
licensed dentist, provided that these duties or procedures meet the
definition of a basic supportive procedure.
- Operate dental radiography equipment for the purpose of oral
radiography and have a radiographic safety certificate.
- Perform intraoral and extraoral photography.
A dental assistant may perform the following duties under the
direct supervision of a supervising licensed dentist:
- Apply nonaerosol and noncaustic topical agents.
- Apply topical fluoride.
- Take intraoral impressions for all nonprosthodontic
- Take facebow transfers and bite registrations.
- Place and remove rubber dams or other isolation devices.
- Place, wedge, and remove matrices for restorative
- Remove postextraction dressings after inspection of the
surgical site by the supervising licensed dentist.
- Perform measurements for the purposes of orthodontic
- Cure restorative or orthodontic materials in operative site
with a light-curing device.
- Examine orthodontic appliances.
- Place and remove orthodontic separators.
- Remove ligature ties and archwires.
- After adjustment by the dentist, examine and seat removable
orthodontic appliances and deliver care instructions to the
A registered dental assistant may perform all of the following
- All duties that a dental assistant is allowed to perform.
- Mouth-mirror inspections of the oral cavity, to include
charting of obvious lesions, existing restorations, and missing
- Apply and activate bleaching agents using a nonlaser
- Use of automated caries detection devices and materials to
gather information for diagnosis by the dentist.
- Obtain intraoral images for computer-aided design (CAD), milled
- Pulp vitality testing and recording of findings.
- Place bases, liners, and bonding agents.
- Chemically prepare teeth for bonding.
- Place, adjust, and finish direct provisional restorations.
- Fabricate, adjust, cement, and remove indirect provisional
restorations, including stainless steel crowns when used as a
- Place post-extraction dressings after inspection of the
surgical site by the supervising licensed dentist.
- Place periodontal dressings.
- Dry endodontically treated canals using absorbent paper
- Adjust dentures extra-orally.
- Remove excess cement from surfaces of teeth with a hand
- Polish coronal surfaces of the teeth.
- Place ligature ties and archwires.
- Remove orthodontic bands.
- All duties that the board may prescribe by regulation.
A registered dental assistant may only perform the following
additional duties if he or she has completed a board-approved
registered dental assistant educational program in those duties, or
if he or she has provided evidence, satisfactory to the board, of
having completed a board-approved course in those duties.
- Remove excess cement with an ultrasonic scaler from
supragingival surfaces of teeth undergoing orthodontic
- The allowable duties of an orthodontic assistant permitholder
as specified in Section 1750.3. A registered dental assistant shall
not be required to complete further instruction in the duties of
placing ligature ties and archwires, removing orthodontic bands,
and removing excess cement from tooth surfaces with a hand
- The allowable duties of a dental sedation assistant
permitholder as specified in Section 1750.5.
- The application of pit and fissure sealants.
Except as provided in Section 1777, the supervising licensed
dentist shall be responsible for determining whether each
authorized procedure performed by a registered dental assistant
should be performed under general or direct supervision.
All DA I & II duties and in addition the following allowable
- Cord retraction of gingiva for impression procedures.
- Take final impressions for permanent indirect
- Formulate indirect patterns for endodontic post and core
- Fit trial endodontic filling points.
- Apply pit and fissure sealants.
- Remove excess cement from subgingival tooth surfaces with a
hand instrument. - See more at:
Keywords: La Clinica de la Raza, Pittsburg , Dental Assistant I, Other , Pittsburg, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!